How to Become a Christian
A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. A Christian has a growing, personal relationship with Jesus Christ, tries to obey Him in all things, and draws on His strength to help with problems. God made us for Himself and our souls are restless until they find rest in Him. Only God can fill the void in your life. The answer to your search is accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of your life. To become a Christian you need to know these basic facts from the Bible:
>Click on this to read scripture
1. God Loves you. - Because of God's love for all persons, he desires that you have unbroken fellowship with Him. (John 3:16, Ephesians 2:4-5)
2. You are a sinner. - All persons are sinners in that they disobey God. Sin is choosing to go your own way and do your own thing as opposed to being obedient to God. (Isaiah 53:6, Romans 3:10)
3. Sin separates you from God. - Sin forms a barrier that prevents you from entering into unbroken fellowship with God, Who is holy. As an unholy sinner, you can"t have fellowship with God. You are headed for a Christless eternity that the Bible calls Hell. - (Isaiah 59:2, Romans 3:23)
4. You can't save yourself. - The death on the cross of Jesus Christ, God's Son, remove People often think that through their efforts they can overcome the barrier between themselves and God. That isn't true. There is nothing you can do to restore the broken relationship with God. You can't earn God's salvation. (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Romans 4:4-5)
5. God sent His Son Jesus to remove the sin barrier. The death on the cross of Jesus Christ, God's Son, removed the sin barrier between you and God. Jesus died for your sins, taking your punishment on Himself. God did for you in Jesus Christ what you couldn't do for yourself. (I Peter 2:24,; Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21)
6. You can receive Jesus Christ through faith. Faith is trusting in what Jesus has done for you rather than trusting your own efforts to restore fellowship with God. Faith is complete reliance on Christ to put you in right relationhip with God, allowing Him to live his life through you. Faith also involves repentance or genuine sorrow for sin and willingness to turn away from sin. (John 14:6; Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9-10)
7. Through prayer you can trust in Jesus Christ. Admit to God that you are a sinner. Express sorrow or repentance for your sinfulness. Ask him to forgive your sins. Invite Jesus into your life as Savior and Lord. Thank Him for entering your life. Commit yourself to live for Him.
Here's a Suggested Prayer:
"Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and I do not deserve eternal life. But, I believe You died and rose from the grave to make me a new creation and to prepare me to dwell in your presence forever. Jesus , come into my life. take control of my life, forgive my sins and save me. I am now placing my trust in You alone for my salvation and I accept your free gift of eternal life. Thank you for saving me. Amen "
Accepting Christ is just the beginning. After accepting Him, be obedient by following Christ in baptism and by uniting with a church. When you do, you will find that life truly does have purpose and meaning. And, tell others about your decision to follow Christ.
First Baptist Church of Bellevue --
Ken Graham's home page --